Posted: March 19 2023 at 11:08 AM
We recently asked our readers, "What is the most meaningful or most moving part of your Lent observance? Why?" These are some of the answers we received.
Submit your response to email@example.com and it will be added it to the list.
- On Ash Wednesday, at Chicago: Grace of Logan Square UMC, we have the sanctuary open all day for the imposition of ashes, and for prayer. The cold and quiet of being in the church early in the morning- preparing my heart and mind for lent. It makes me aware of my humanity and my need for grace.
- Rev. Hope Chernich, Chicago: Irving Park UMC and Chicago: Grace of Logan Square UMC.
- The most meaningful part of Lent is knowing there is a collective, intentional act of repentance beginning with the "marking" on Ash Wednesday. The 40 days of journey causes me to live differently as a Christian.
- Deaconess Catherine Inserra, Manager of Faith & Community Relations at Kids Above All
- Ash Wednesday is the remainder that we began as dust, and dust we shall return. It is a reminder that we are only a part of this humble life for a short time. As we walk through the lenten season, we are reminded of the scarface made on the cross and the human feel behind it all. Helps me to remember to stay humble.
- Kim Emery, Certified Lay Minister, Rockford: Beth Eden UMC
- Maundy Thursday supper together is very intimate. You look around the table at the people you love in your community and know how hard it would be to lose one of your own. It allows you to feel that grief and sit with it.
- Emmy Gimple, member at Freeport: Faith UMC serving as Director of Children’s, Youth, and Media Ministries at St. Luke’s UMC in Dubuque, IA
- The most moving aspect of my Lenten observance has been the reading of Mark 15 on Good Friday. The brutality of the narrative takes me to my center and reminds me that all of our days are drawn into and step toward the "yes" of Jesus. Yet, despite our suffering, we are Easter people in a Good Friday world.
- Bishop Dan Schwerin, Northern Illinois Conference