Welcome to the DeKalb District eNews, where we love and appreciate you, the faithful, everyday United Methodist!
New @ Reynoldswood Christian Camp
Informational flyer for the WorkParty at Reynoldswood Camp
More information on the camp’s website: www.reynoldswood.org
Questions: Jeff Casey, 815-494-3877; firstname.lastname@example.org
11th Annual Northern Illinois Conference
SCHOOL OF EVANGELISM – Rescheduled to October 22nd (same place, same time)
The MISSION CHALLENGE for this year will be School Kit items for the Midwest Mission Distribution Center(http://midwestmissiondc.org/), our United Methodist disaster relief supply center located just south of Springfield, IL. All districts are challenged to bring the following items AND an additional 2500 pencil sharpeners (about 50 per church). Pencil Sharpeners can be bought in bags on-line at a much cheaper rate than individually in stores. Please note: All items must be NEW and not washed; free of advertising, religious,patriotic, military or camouflage symbols; No hand prints, foot prints or paw prints.
- District Item
- Aurora 1250 Rulers(12″ long with metric)
- Chicago NW 400 Scissors(round tip, no plastic)
- Chicago Southern 1500 Erasers(2″ or larger)
- DeKalb 7500 Pens(blue or black Bic-style)
- Elgin 1500 Boxes Crayons(boxes of 24 only)
- Rockford 1500 Notebooks(1 subject spiral, 8″ x 10 1/2″)
There will be a truck available for the drop-off of items in front of the Mega Center on Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. Let’s bring out items to Annual Conference to help make ALL schools a place to thrive.
Post-GC 2016 Reconciling Clergy and Laity Gathering, June 12
The NIC RMN Task Force welcomes all laity and clergy of Reconciling Congregations to gather for a post-General Conference 2016 presentation and conversation on Sunday, June 12, 3 pm at the First United Methodist Church of Park Ridge, 418 W. Touhy Ave., Park Ridge, IL. The event will incorporate reflections from our delegation, information on the Council of Bishops’ “The Way Forward” and newly established commission, and local congregation concerns/ideas and suggestions in moving forward in reconciling ministries. Interested persons from throughout the connection are welcome. Membership or appointment to a “reconciling congregation” is not required. All are welcome and all means all. An RSVP is desired: email@example.com by Thursday, June 9. For directions and parking information go to www.parkridgeumc.org.
Remember those who have given a lot of years for God’s work and vision. You may be one of them. Thank and honor them; they deserve it NOW.
For the special offering envelopes, download the 2016GoldenCrossSundayBB.
“Evergreen – Counting the Rings of Faithfulness” is the theme.
May is the month! It is when the older adult recognition day is held nationally. (It’s OK to do it in other time.)
Worship Resources for this Older Adult Ministries Sunday.
Visit www.facebook.com/nicolderadultministries regularly.
Blessings to all, Pong Javier
ChildServ! Friends of at-risk youth and emerging adults:
- Building Brighter Futures Campaign – ChildServ “builds families, improves the lives of children and helps our clients reach their potential.” And we’re good at this! We want your congregations to know a powerful and effective way we do this is by strengthening parents! All kinds of parents … by clarifying and coaching them in their role as Bonder, Protector, Provider, and the first Educator with their children.Beginning April 25, our Building Brighter Futures goal is to reach and ignite at least 2,016 NIC members, among the 88,000 NIC members, to partner with ChildServ in giving at-risk families hope! A contribution of $50 helps ChildServ continue providing life-changing services in four counties. Featured are five programs: Early Childhood Parents, Foster Parents, Teen Moms, Dad’s Matter and Military Families.
- Bulletin/Pew Inserts will be available on April 25 at www.childserv.org/bright, designed to be copied for cost efficiency for churches. Electronic copies will be emailed by April 26. If you do not receive them, please request them directly from me, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special envelopes will be mailed to churches after April 25.
Mother’s Day (May 8) and Father’s Day (June 12) makes this a perfect time to highlight the significance how equipped, caring, supportive and confident parents are in our lives. Let ChildServ be a part of your congregation’s emphasis on the mission of building healthy families and communities.
Those contributing will be thanked on ChildServ’s website and our FaceBook page unless directed otherwise. We will also give a shout-out to their congregation!
ChildServ CEO/President Dan Kotowski on Now.Chicago ~
If you haven’t yet “met” Mr. Kotowski, go to ChildServ’s FaceBook page for his interview on WCIU’s Now.Chicago.
And “Like” ChildServ while you’re there!
Watch for Lucy Rider Meyer!
Lucy Rider Meyer was an awesome mover, shaker, and maker of “social holiness” in the Chicagoland area!
She the founder of the 1894 Lake Bluff Methodist Deaconess Orphanage, later became the Lake Bluff Home for Children, and then “morphed” into the current community-based service provider, ChildServ.
She also helped found in 1888 the Wesley Hospital that merged into the medical complex known today as the Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
And within the walls of the Wesley Hospital was the temporary home of the Chicago Training School for City, Home and Foreign Missions that has “morphed” into what is known today as Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary.
Be sure to watch for Lucy Rider Meyer’s appearances on ChildServ’s FaceBook page!
Get your picture taken with Lucy at ChildServ’s display at the Northern Illinois Annual Conference!
Kim Coffing, MDiv
Director of Advocacy & Church Relations
8765 W. Higgins Road, Suite 450
Chicago, Illinois 60631
Office: (773) 239-8710 FAX: (773) 693-0322