NORTHERN ILLINOIS CONFERENCE APPORTIONMENT APPEAL PROCESS
For more information on the appeal process or to submit your appeal, use this information:
David W. Quinn
NIC - United Methodist Church
77 West Washington Avenue
Chicago, IL 60602
Every effort has and will continue to be made in making the Apportionment formula as equitable/fair as possible. It is important
to know that the average Apportionment for a member church of the NIC is about 14% of its annual operating budget.
Notwithstanding, CCFA is mindful of the challenges member churches are facing and will continue to work with all member
churches in order to obtain 100% Apportionment participation. Hopefully, the following Appeal and Review process will help to
foster our connection in the NIC and make the 100% Apportionment participation an attainable goal.
Every member church of the NIC can appeal its Apportionment amount.
Fundamental reasons for seeking an appeal include but not limited to the following (discuss/document as applicable):
- Errors were made in entering the statistical data
- Drastic changes in worship attendance or membership – leading to reduced giving
- A major maintenance or other unanticipated expense occurred, and
- Other (extraordinary - explain)
The appeal period is from when the Apportionments are announced by the Treasurer’s office in October to January 31st and
decisions will be communicated by the first Friday in March of the Apportionment year. Appeals will not be considered as they
are submitted but collectively in February and decisions made thereafter. All appeals must be received by the Treasurer’s Office
on or before January 31st:
- Appeal period – October of the current Apportionment year to January 31st of the new Apportionment year
- Appeal submission deadline – January 31st of the new Apportionment year
- Appeal review period (CCFA) – February of the new Apportionment year
- Appeal decision communication – First Friday in March of the new Apportionment year
- The appeal is to be addressed to the Conference Treasurer (Treasurer's Office); in turn, the Office will formally acknowledge receipt (via email) before forwarding, as part of the appeal package (all appeals) at the end of the appeal period, January 31st to CCFA for review by the Subcommittee on Finance (Subcommittee)
- At the minimum, the content of the appeal should include:
- A stated amount of relief being sought
- The duration of the relief
- The fundamental reason(s) for the appeal, and
- An appeal history, if any, including result of each appeal
- The Subcommittee, upon receipt of the appeal package in February, will convene and within 30 days complete its review and submit its recommendations to CCFA; in turn CCFA will convene, review and or modify the recommendations and
- CCFA, through the Conference Treasurer, will announce its appeal decision on the first Friday in March of the Apportionment year.
All questions and inquiries should be directed to the Conference Treasurer.