In the Northern Illinois Conference, our local churches make a commitment to support local, regional and international mission projects and ministries through the Rainbow Covenant.
The first mile in becoming a Rainbow Covenant church is to fully participate in the mission and ministry of the Northern Illinois Conference through 100% apportionment giving. We give to our churches in order that we can be in mission with our local community and to the world. Through apportionments, our giving to the local church is extended to vital ministries across the Conference and around the world.
Once your church has fulfilled its basic, first-mile apportionment commitment, go the second-mile and become a Rainbow Covenant congregation. The second-mile giving channel is called the Advance. Started in 1948, the Advance is the United Methodist program for voluntary, designated mission giving. And because of your church’s support of the apportionment that underwrites administrative costs, 100% of your gifts through the Advance go directly to the mission or project you select!
- Learn more by downloading the Rainbow Covenant Book (2016-2020).
Here’s how to get started:
- Make a commitment to pay your local church’s apportionment in full.
- Select ministries or missionaries from each category (color band of the rainbow).
Red Band — International Advance Projects
Orange Band — Disaster Relief Projects (UMCOR)
Yellow Band — U.S. Based National Advance Projects
Green Band — NIC Advance Projects
Blue Band — NIC District Advance Projects
Purple Band — Missionary Support
Note: The Advance projects highlighted in the Rainbow Covenant Book are those for which the Northern Illinois Conference Board of Global Ministries has made a commitment to promote. Your church is not limited to these; you can see a complete listing of Advance Projects here–there are over 1,000 projects and missionaries in 100 different countries!
3. Complete and submit the Rainbow Covenant Form:
4. Send your church’s gifts for the ministries and projects you selected to the Northern Illinois Conference Treasurer’s Office to receive credit for Rainbow Covenant recognition. (Local benevolences and sister-church support should be sent directly to those causes.)
For more information or help, contact us:
Conference Board of Global Ministries: TBD
Apportionments/Advance Specials: David Quinn (312) 346-9766 ext.741 firstname.lastname@example.org