77 W. Washington St.
Chicago, IL 60602
217 Division St.
Elgin, IL 60120
If you encounter an error when trying to download a document, or come upon an image that doesn't load, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name or description of the document and the URL, and we will get it fixed.
Get Connected to Transform05/05/2010
Our mission as the United Methodist Church...
...is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
There are thousands, if not millions, of ministries being carried out by local churches, clusters, districts, conferences, and as a denomination in support of that mission. Apportionments enable our vision for these ministries to be realized. When we as local churches faithfully and fully support apportionment giving, we are not only connected through these ministries, we are “Connected to Transform.”
Is your church connected to transform?
Apportionments remain one of the least understood parts of United Methodism, yet they are one of the most significant ways in which United Methodists stay connected to each other and the world. Through apportionment giving, United Methodists are able to do together what no individual, church, cluster, district, or conference could support on their own.
Explore the links and resources below to learn more about apportionments. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Local Church ResourcesFrequently Asked Questions
This article is a great place to get started. It answers some of the most common questions about apportionments:
- What are Apportionments?
- Why do we pay Apportionments?
- How are Apportionments calculated?
- Where do Apportionment dollars go?
- How do Apportionments help my local church?
- What happens if we can't/don't pay?
- Who's accountable for how Apportionment dollars are used?
- How can I encourage my church to support our Apportionments 100%?
- 2009-2012 Handbook: Making Disciples for the Transformation of the World (Booklet, also available in Spanish and Korean)
- Who We Are (Brochure)
General Church Apportioned Funds:
- 2009-2012 Together We Can Transform the World (Poster/Brochure)
- Apportioned Funds Communication Kit (Folder with one page for each of the seven General Church Apportioned Funds)
Schedule a Lay Speaker
A lay speaker is a member of a local church who has completed required training courses and is well informed on and committed to the Scriptures and the doctrine, heritage, organization, and life of The United Methodist Church.
A number of lay speakers in our conference have been equipped with the "Connected to Transform" apportionment interpretation materials. These lay speakers will:
- Explore the Biblical and Wesleyan foundations of apportionment giving
- Explain how your church's apportionment is calculated
- Illustrate how your church's apportionment dollars are transforming the world
(Hint: To see these Powerpoints better, click the menu button and select Full Screen, or Zoom in by pressing "CTRL" and "+". Click here to download the presentations.)
The Portion Meant for OthersThis presentation addresses four themes related to apportionments:
- Why do we have them?
- Who decides?
- How much do we pay?
- What good do they do?
This presentation looks specifically at the formula used to calculate the local church apportionment.